Thursday, September 30, 2010

dinner with destiny

Do you believe in destiny?  I do.
Here is destiny as defined by  the Free Dictionary by Farlex:

destiny [ˈdɛstɪnɪ]n pl -nies
1. the future destined for a person or thing; fate; fortune; lot
2. the predetermined or inevitable course of events
3. (Philosophy) the ultimate power or agency that predetermines the course of events
I believe that there were a series of unexplainable events that prompted me to make this particular dish.  You too will be a believer once you hear my account of the events as they occurred.

First of all, friends of mine traveled all the way to Japan to get me this cute, little soy sauce server. Wasn't that nice of them and why did they pick Japan? 

Really, it was just a coincidence that their son was living there at the time.


Then, recently, I attended a cooking class that was taught by the chef from one of my favourite restaurants. This restaurant was in Vancouver for over thirty years and recently closed due to leasing issues. I was very sad to see it go. One of the last times that I was there, I had a tuna appetizer that was to die for. At the cooking class, I discovered from this chef that the secret was in the togarashi spice.

Do you think the restaurant closed just so this chef could be free to teach a cooking class that I would attend?!  Freaky, huh?

Then my mother brought me some togareshi spice.... you see where I'm going with this, right?

Then about a month ago, I came upon this blog called Regional Recipes which is hosted by Joanne of Eats Well With Others.  The participants of this blog cook their way around the globe visiting a new country every month.  And you will never guess where we are going this month.  Actually, you probably will.  Yup, you guessed it.  JAPAN.  How weird is that?  Is that not destiny?

Okay, there is one more thing.  I know you really don't need anymore convincing but it is what it is.  When I searched the internet for a recipe using tuna with togarashi spice, this is the recipe that I came up with and I only, just now as I neared the end of this post,  noticed the significance in the name.  And that's the truth.  Too funny.

Karma's Togareshi-seared ahi tuna 

2 teaspoons shichimi togarashi (available at Asian markets)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 pound fresh ahi tuna
1 teaspoon sesame oil 

Combine the seasonings well, then coat the tuna with them. In a large, hot saute pan, add the sesame oil, then sear the tuna evenly on all sides till desired doneness.

Remove from the pan, slice and keep warm until serving time. 2 servings.


 

Orange-ponzu cream sauce 

1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons cooking sherry
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/4 pound butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Kosher salt and ground pepper

Simmer the soy, citrus juices and sherry in a saucepan until reduced by half. Lower the heat, add in the evaporated milk and simmer for 2 minutes. In a ramekin, add about 1/4 cup of water to the cornstarch to create a paste.  Whisk into sauce until slightly thickened.  Take off stove top and whisk in the soft butter, a little at a time, until dissolved. Season with salt and pepper. Makes about 2/3 cup.

Both of these recipes were adapted from this site.


I loved this dish.  The meaty consistency of the tuna is unlike any other fish that I have eaten.  Even in the photo above it looks like sliced steak, doesn't it?

Photo credits go to my daughter, Kyla Macdonald.

3 comments:

  1. Truly must be destiny! That tuna looks gorgeous.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your tuna sounds amazing! That crust and the sauce...mmmm. It's been far too long since I've eaten some good tuna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely believe in destiny after reading this. That tuna sounds fantastic. orange ponzu cream sauce = heaven. thanks so much for submitting it to RR! I swear the round up will go up tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails