Thursday, May 27, 2010

settling into my new digs

You may have noticed that I have been nesting. Yes, I have been decorating my little blog. Who knew that there were so many "accessories" for blogs! I changed the main picture - how do you like them apples?- added a widget here, changed the colour there. I even added some music for your listening pleasure.(CTL END)

Decorating is a passion of mine that started way back. I believe it was the Friendly Giant who started this obsession..... "just move this little chair here to a cozy spot by the fireplace" while Jerome the giraffe softly played his flute in the background. It was my favourite show as a little girl. Ahh, happy place.

But now that I have everything in order and my OCD tendencies have been satisfied, it is time for a recipe.

I have been loving Indian food lately and have been making it quite a bit. I seem to change it up every time I make it and sometimes the Great White Hunter makes it. This time, I did.




Curried Chicken
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 28 oz. can tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic
2 Serrano peppers
3 tbsp medium or hot Patak's curry paste
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup red wine
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup plain yogurt, Balkan style

Saute onions, garlic and peppers in a frying pan with a little oil until tender. Process onions, garlic, peppers and undrained tomatoes in a food processor or blender. Set aside. Cut chicken into bite size chunks and cook in saute pan with a little oil. Add the processed mixture to pan along with remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer. Add yogurt.

Raita
2 cups plain yogurt, Balkan style
1 cucumber, peeled, finely chopped and drained
2 tsp cumin
1/2 cup chopped cilantro or mint

Combine all ingredients.

Fresh Tomato Chutney
2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 tsp grated ginger
1/2 chopped cilantro
Hot fresh chili pepper
1 tsp sugar
pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients

Serve with basmati rice and Naan bread. I usually buy President's Choice Naan bread. Cut a clove of garlic in half and rub one side of the Naan. Wrap in foil and warm in oven. Brush with melted butter.

I had an amazing mango salad at my cousin's. She made it to accompany a wonderful Thai dinner, but I thought that it would also go with this Indian dinner so I added a few different spices. I thought it complemented the meal well.

Mango Salad
1 mango, julienned
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 1/2 tsp cumin
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp mayo

Combine all ingredients.

There are so many different types of peppers and in the store it is sometimes difficult to determine the varieties unless they are labeled, which often they are not. This site defines some peppers as well as shows the heat level.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails